The Golden Visa gives the right to live and work in Portugal and allows free circulation in Europe’s Schengen Area. This investment visa, or investor visa, is flexible and offers many pathways depending on any given circumstance. Portugal offers investors a stable and expanding economy, with many burgeoning economies to progress with and an opportunity to get in on the ground level with exciting startups.
What are the benefits?
Qualify for residency
You can qualify for residency by investing €350,000, which is one of the lowest investment thresholds in Europe
You don’t have to move to Portugal to keep your residence permit. Staying in the country for seven days on average per year will suffice
You can be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship in five years. This is one of the quickest in Europe
Once you become a Portuguese citizen, you get visa-free access to 188 countries
As the main applicant, you may extend the Golden Visa to your family members. The application process is simultaneous for the main applicant and the dependents, such as partner, children under the age of 18, dependent children under the age of 26, provided that they are full-time students and not married, and parents of the main applicant, if over the age of 65 years old.
What types of investments qualify for the Golden Visa?
Real Estate Acquisition (one of the below)
Acquire real estate worth more than €500,000 in Portugal
- If in a low-density area in Portugal, the minimum amount drops 20 percent to €400,000
Acquire real estate that is older than 30 years old in an urban rehabilitation area, and renovate it for a minimum of €350,000 in Portugal
- If in a low-density area in Portugal, the minimum amount drops 20 percent to €280,000
The real estate acquisition does not need to pertain to one property necessarily. As long as the minimum amount is met in total, the transaction may include the purchase of multiple properties. Note that residential properties in Lisbon, Porto, and coastal towns of the mainland don’t qualify investors for a Portuguese Golden Visa. However, you can choose a commercial property in these locations and still qualify.
Capital transfer of a minimum of €1 million to a personal account hold by you in Portugal.
Company (one of the below)
- Create a minimum of 10 new full-time jobs in a Portuguese business that is owned by yourself as the main applicant
- Create a minimum of eight new full-time jobs in a Portuguese business formed in a low-density area in Portugal, owned by the main applicant
- Invest a minimum of €500,000 in an existing Portuguese business, where the incorporated company must create a minimum of five new full-time jobs for at least three years
Donation (one of the below)
- Invest a minimum of €250,000 in preserving national heritage in Portugal
- Invest a minimum of €500,000 in a research and development activity in Portugal
A minimum of €350,000 subscription in a qualifying fund.